Friday, July 12, 2013

My Grocery List

First of all... I was kind of a big fat cheater at lunch. It was a "healthy" cheat... but...

I grabbed Chick-fil-a to take home and I just really wasn't in the mood for a salad (which I should have gotten because CFA has super yummy and healthy salads). I was also super hungry so I didn't get a kid's meal with grilled chicken nuggets and a fruit cup (which would have been a great easy choice). Instead I got their new Cool Wrap. It just sounded yummy packed with grilled chicken, yummy veggies, and on a whole wheat wrap. It clocks in right around 400 calories I think and I got the fruit cup with it which was a great choice...

But, I am not sure whether to blame the whole wheat tortilla (most likely) or the cheese in the wrap (possibly... dairy is not my best friend), but after eating I felt majorly ick. Very bloated and just lathargic. I didn't realize how good my tummy was feeling and how much energy I had after eating a Paleo friendly meal. But, I guess it was a good learning experience.

Anyhoo, the real point of this post is to share my basic grocery list/must have foods for eating Paleo friendly. Let me start off by giving a quick overview of what exactly Paleo entails (and I am still learning and there is actually some debate... so, we all have to make our own choices!) BUT, basically, you can eat

  1. Meat and poultry (grass-fed, free ranging meats are ideal)
  2. Fish and other seafood
  3. Eggs
  4. Vegetables
  5. Fruits
  6. Nuts and seeds
  7. Spices and herbs (salt in moderation)
  8. Healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, coconut milk, fish oil, etc)
  9. Condiments like mustard, soy (without wheat), salsa, etc)
You cannot eat
  1. Dairy (milk, cheese, etc) *butter is debated- but if you do use it use the grass fed variety
  2. Grains 
  3. Processed Food
  4. Sugar (and especially artificial sweeteners of any kind)
  5. Legumes
  6. Starches
  7. Alcohol
So, the good news is that the list of things you can eat is longer than the list of things you can't. The bad news is that most of the things you can't eat are the things that make up the majority of the average American diet.

For me eating this way has mostly been pretty simple because I have kept a lot of staples on hand that make throwing together a quick meal very easy. Here is my basic list of what I like to keep on hand:
  • Chicken breasts
  • Chicken sausages (from Trader Joes)
  • Frozen salmon and tilapia
  • Canned salmon
  • Eggs
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Peppers
  • Lettuce 
  • Any other veggies that I find on sale or that look good! (great for throwing on the grill or chopping up in a salad... or adding to omelettes or roasting in the oven...)
  • Frozen veggies
  • Bananas
  • Berries (variety)
  • frozen berries
  • Almonds
  • Almond butter 
  • Almond flour
  • Coconut oil
  • Mustard
  • Salsa
  • Lots of spices
  • Lara Bars (these are great for when you need a quick breakfast on the go... for me this is essential on Sunday mornings after getting everyone up and out the door for 9am church!) 
So, there you go! Those are my "staple items"! 

Here's keeping my fingers crossed for a successful eating weekend. Eating on the weekends is always a challenge. There are always so many fun things to do and eat on the weekend... :)

I will hop back on here on Tuesday for my week 2 check in! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment